Life since Somerset

1 Replies, 984 Views

After Somerset I attended Western JHS for 7th grade then left for Vientiane, Laos – 1967 to 1970.  Returned to Morgan Drive and BCC for 11th & 12th grades.
Having no idea what I wanted to be when I grew up, a liberal arts education at Goucher College, Towson, MD, seemed a good choice. Finished up there with an BA in American Studies, December 1975.
My first job out of college was as a secretary at Ferris & Company, a stockbrokerage firm in DC. 
In 1977, I became registered as a broker and was hired by Paine Webber. (Thank you Paine Webber).
There I met my husband, Richard Cook. We married in 1980 and had two children, Josh in 1981 and Amy in 1985.
Kept working until my son was in second grade then, got my CPA and worked from home, between volunteering for PTAs, Scouts, and the myriad of school related activities.
Resumed working outside the home in 2002 for a boutique CPA firm, Russell, Evans and Thompson in Herndon, VA.
A year later I was persuaded to leave and become an assistant to the then President of EDS Government Business Division, also in Herndon. Learned a whole new language, composed of Federal government acronyms, and was introduced to the world of government contracting.
Left EDS with my boss to start up a small contracting company, Edmonds Enterprise Services, Inc. where I still work as CFO, (and payroll, HR, benefits…)
I plan to ease out of full time work next year, working only a couple of days a week. I am looking forward to joining my retired friends, taking classes, playing golf, and traveling if possible.
I was widowed in 2014. Rick had been sick for quite a while so his passing was not traumatic and was, in fact, a release.
In 2021 my mother moved in with me.  Sisters Claire and Eve, and brothers Dan and Andy (in-law) live close by in Maryland. Will lives in Italy with his wife Simona.
My children, Josh and Amy (Brandon), live near me. Josh in Arlington, VA and Amy in Woodbridge, VA.  I am blessed with a 5-year-old grandson, who lights up my life.
For fun I’ve always enjoyed sports, so I’ll be organizing the reunion kick ball game, waivers required.
Anne -

Great to read about your full life. So sorry to hear about your husband though. And, now I know why we lost touch. You moved to Laos! Now for an incredible coincidence...I also worked at Ferris, Baker Watts -- much later than you did. I staffed a New Jersey office (in my home) for them for three years in the early '90s when I was an investment banker, mostly putting together leasing transactions for school districts. Small world.