My Work Life and Retirement 1972-2023

1 Replies, 1005 Views

After high school, I followed my dream to become a musical theatre performer. I went to Ithaca College and the University of Cincinnati and moved to New York City. I was lucky to be cast in a Broadway show during college and, while it closed before we opened in New York, I became a card-carrying member of Actors Equity Association (AEA). I worked for several years in the theatre--mostly in dinner theatres and children's theatre. I was also elected to and served for four years on the board of AEA.

When I outgrew juvenile ingenue roles, I decided it was time to do something else. I went back to school and, with an MBA from NYU, I launched a 35-year career in public finance from which I retired in 2018. For the first 10 years, I was an investment banker working with cities, counties and school districts. Then, I served in government as Executive Director of the New Jersey Heatlh Care Facilities Financing Authority. After that, I returned to Wall Street  to manage various groups of credit analysts including those working with local governments, state governments, colleges and universities and not-for-profit organizations at Moody's Investors Service.

These days, I do a ton of volunteer work. I publish a weekly survey of jobs available in North Jersey for those looking for jobs (or better jobs), provide professional development coaching and sort donations and style women for work at Dress for Success. I've run countless drives for school supplies and winter coats. My latest cause is to help those who are food insecure by sorting donations at the local food pantry and answering calls to the Community Food Bank.

I live with my husband, George Pollock, in West Orange, NJ. While I didn't have children, George has a son and we have four grandchildren ages 15-25.
Hi Edie, Thanks for letting us know what you've been up to. You would definitely have been a great actor with that lovely smile. When I was married we would visit my wife's family in Califon, NJ. Google says it's about 52 minutes away. I"m down in Gainesville, Florida now.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2023, 11:57 PM by Whit.)