A Somerset Marriage

1 Replies, 946 Views

A Somerset Marriage 

It’s the first day of classes at GWU, September 1976.  I’m standing in the hallway outside of my senior history seminar waiting for the professor to open the door and let us in.  I look over and see Eve Center (Anne’s younger sister) standing there. I’m floored.  I walk over and say “didn’t you go to Somerset Elementary”? She replies “didn’t you go to B-CC”?  We reconnect and realize we’re both living at home having transferred in from other schools to finish up at GW. We start commuting to school together. October 29, 1976 Anne joins us – with a date – on our very first date. Soon we are a couple. Our moms are particularly happy as they’d known each other since serving together on the Somerset PTA all those years ago. In fact, every election day my Mom would call Eve and Anne’s Mom to find out who to vote for in the local elections.  We dated for four more years before eloping on June 28, 1980.  We’ve been happily married ever since with two boys Ben 38 and Alex 35 and two grandsons whom we adore and babysit every Thursday. Last fall, Eve, Anne and I hosted a Somerset reunion lunch on the day of the 50th B-CC high school reunion at the Center family house which was still in the family.  That lunch is what started this wonderful Somerset group. As many have noted, that was a magical get together and felt like going back in time 60 years.  I hope we can have another such reunion when we all turn 70.
Geeze! What a fantastic story Andy and you guys eloped as well! So cool!!