What a long, strange trip it's been

2 Replies, 1281 Views

Friends,

I've mostly lived in the area during my working years, Virginia since '02.  A few of you might remember that I played drums at Somerset, but I then switched to cello, and made a career in that for awhile; cello faculty at SUNY-Potsdam and the University of Missouri-Kansas City.  During summers I'd come back here and play at Wolf Trap or the Kennedy Center.  Had something of a mid-life crisis and became a lawyer, doing music as a side-line.  I was also a music critic for the Wash Post -- wrote nearly 500 pieces between '06 and '18.  I teach a few students and play gigs now and then, while keeping things going at the firm though I'll likely be retiring soon.  Never married or reproduced.  Just taking life as it comes!  Grateful to Whit (and his boy) for bringing us back together.  In dreams, I still sometimes find myself in the halls of the school we knew so well.  

Robby
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2023, 11:08 PM by Robby Battey.)
Hi Robby,, Great to hear from youi! That's awesome you've been doing music and worked for the Washington Post.  I used to deliver that paper at 4am after Somerset. In college I learned a little about the guitar and some friends and I made a couple records (remember those) on teaching kids consonant and vowel sounds to help in getting the basics in learning to read.  The superintendent of our school district (Indian County in Vero Beach, FL) had us put on "rock" concerts at different elementary schools.  We called it "Those Crazy Vowels."  Do you have a picture of yourself from back then? I'd like to set it up as your avatar.  Keep on posting!
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2023, 04:47 PM by Whit.)
(06-11-2023, 04:29 PM)Whit Wrote: Hi Robby,, Great to hear from youi! That's awesome you've been doing music and worked for the Washington Post.  I used to deliver that paper at 4am after Somerset.  In college I learned a little about the guitar and some friends and I made a couple records (remember those) on teaching kids consonant and vowel sounds to help in getting the basics in learning to read.   The superintendent of our school district (Indian River County in Vero Beach, FL) had us put on "rock" concerts at different elementary schools.  We called it "Those Crazy Vowels."  Do you have a picture of yourself from back then? I'd like to set it up as your avatar.  Keep on posting!

I'll look!
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2023, 11:51 PM by Whit.)